Saturday, November 1, 2008

Netherlands: Utrecht's Jewish cemetery

Henk van Kampen, of the Netherlands, is the author of The Graveyard Rabbit of Utrecht and Het Gooi, and he's recently posted about Utrecht's Jewish cemetery, with exterior photographs and a link to others.

Visit his site to see the photographs and other postings.
On my way to the first cemetery visit since I'm a graveyard rabbit, I passed the Jewish cemetery of Utrecht. I can't read the Hebrew (I assume) text above the door, but the Dutch text on the door is clear: Toegang verboden, no admission (litt. access forbidden).

Many Jewish cemeteries are walled in and inaccessible - probably the consequence of many centuries of European antisemitism. Maybe at a later date I will ask permission to visit and photograph, but for the time being I only have a few photos from the outside. Fortunately, there are also
several photos on the website of the Utrecht archive.

Henk's destination and the subject of his next post is the graveyard of Oud Zuilen.

We hope Henk asks for permission to visit and photograph the Jewish cemetery.

He's also the author of Trace your Dutch roots, a blog about Dutch genealogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment